lichess.org
Donate

The Chess Step Method Explained

@WorldSuperest said in #10:
> Are the FULL versions of the pdfs of all the steps available on the website for free? I did found some pdfs there, but I'm not sure if they're the full version....
@WorldSuperest said in #10:
> Are the FULL versions of the pdfs of each steps available on the website for free? I did found some pdfs there, but I'm not sure if they're the full version....

I think there is only the solutions on the website.
When I started to get interested a little more in chess a few years ago, the step method workbooks of step 1 and step 2 were an important training resource for me. I still include a few pages in my tactics training from time to time. Good material.
> The sweet spot for exercises is when you really need to focus 110% and get somewhere between 60-80% correct solutions in a reasonable time. This is where you keep your confidence intact, but strain yourself enough to really make improvements.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I feel that I'm learning a lot from the exercises even when I can solve close to 100%. The exercises are heavily repetitive (at least for the first few steps). The goal is to learn the patterns and be able to spot them confidently even in more complex positions. You can still benefit a lot from the training, even when you are able to solve about 100% of the exercises, but have to focus hard and think a little bit. I think as long as it does not feel easy, it's not too easy. That is, as long as you need to put in some effort, you will learn from it.

So I would rather say 60%-100% is good. Where 60% is "I'm just starting with this new patterns." and 100% is "I'm confidently solving the exercises, but I need to concentrate and think a little bit."
@gaussium said in #9:
> Do you reckon I should start at step 1 given my Rapid 1200 rating.
Yes, I do. absolutely.
These books are absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend them as I've been working through them with my little one and we are just about to complete Level 2 Workbook. We first started with the Stepping Stone 2 /not mentioned in the blog post/ as she knew how the pieces moved but not a lot more. She is now getting tactically a lot sharper and often comes up with brilliant ideas during the game. This is an all-in-one package, where all tactics themes are covered. My little one has finished second in her primary school chess tournament and I believe that a big part of her success is thanks to these fantastic books.
gaussium thanks for answering but I have 1200 USCF 1002 and online rating 1900