lichess.org
Donate

when i play chess, after the opening ends got no idea what am doing next

<Comment deleted by user>
Some strategic questions to help assessing positions and finding what their needs are :

- Who is better ? Are you playing for neutralization, complications, conversion, tricks ?
- What's your weaknesses and problems to solve ? Can you solve them easily ? What's your opponent's weaknesses and problems ? Can you generate new ones with simple moves ?
- Is the opponent's king vulnerable to an attack ? Is the king's defense weak, are your pieces coordinated for an attack ?
- Are your pieces active enough ? Do you lack in development, do you have a dead bishop, a rim knight, some passive rook and can you improve them ? Is any change in the pawn structure helping your pieces or your opponent's pieces the most ?
- Which pieces do you want to trade or keep ? How good is the endgame and do you want queens in or out ? How are the rooks endings ? How good is the middlegame ? For which square color control are you fighting for ? What's your strongest and worse pieces and what's your opponent's strongest and worse pieces ?
- Do you play for static or dynamic ? Have you any static advantage (better structure, more material, bishops) ? Have you any dynamic advantage (better piece activity and coordination, strong pawn breaks and line opening moves, initiative) ? are you in a position where you need to gamble or do you want to stabilize ?

There is more, chess strategy is a mess fore everybody.
I say, just skip the middlegame and move on to end game, trade trade trade, and finally you are there. If you manage in between the trades get one pawn advantage, that's the whole strategy of it, now push for the win :)
OK I See that you are playing a lot of aggressive stuff. Normaly the opening dictates the plans of the middle game.

I for oncs play the french as black. It has a clear plan:
Undermine and destroy whites center and survive the kingside attack from white. If you manage both you will be better if not winning.

Find the game planes from your openings. The White plan in Pirc ist usually playing with the room advantage and restricting the blacks piece play.
It's not just your problem, I play like this too. I try to play the openings well, which I've studied, and then I rely on my ability to read the game from time to time, which is always different. This is because I have little talent for theoretical learning, for me the best training ground to learn is playing against an opponent.
<Comment deleted by user>
Good opening lesson should contain more than a few moves of prep. Find some videos or maybe a coach talking about common middlegame ideas stemming from the opening for both sides. Watch real games with commentary to see them in action.
Why was the original post deleted ?
Anyway... It’s my problem too. Indeed, my “game strategy” after opening can be summed up like this:
move pieces where it seems best and calculate, calculate, calculate, looking for ( or waiting for ) an opportunity;
time runs, and Mr. Blunder arrives punctually.
Not very effective.
"... Logical Chess [(Batsford edition by Chernev)] ... a collection of 33 games ... is definitely for beginners and players who are just starting to learn about development, weak squares, the centre, standard attacking ideas, and the like. In many ways, it would [be] a wonderful 'first' book (or first 'serious' book, after the ones which teach the rules and elementary mates, for example), and a nice gift for a young player just taking up chess. ..." - IM John Watson (1999)
theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/assorted-recent-books
www.amazon.com/Logical-Chess-Every-Explained-Algebraic/dp/0713484640?asin=0713484640&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1
www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1004861
Better Chess for Average Players by Harding
store.doverpublications.com/0486290298.html
"... Winning Chess Tactics and Winning Chess Strategies ... Readers will not come away from reading these books and realize an immediate 400-point jump in their rating. However, this accessible and entertaining series of books is an easy way for beginning players to broaden the foundation of their chess knowledge."
web.archive.org/web/20140708090229/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/review492.pdf
"... Irving Chernev’s The Most Instructive Games of Chess Every Played was ... originally published ... in 1965. It contains sixty-two well analyzed games, each one possessing both artistic and educational value. ..."
chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/most-instructive-games-of-chess-ever-played/
"... Giddins has admirably achieved his aim of providing an update to Most Instructive Games, and while 50 Essential Chess Lessons might reasonably be viewed as a successor to Chernev's earlier book, it also stands on its own as a well-crafted, thoughtful, and original work. ..."
web.archive.org/web/20140708100833/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/review534.pdf
www.gambitbooks.com/pdfs/50_Essential_Chess_Lessons.pdf
"... The Amateur's Mind ... (for players 1000 to 1600) ..." - IM Jeremy Silman (2010)
"... The Amateur’s Mind ... is one of the best instructive books in print. ..."
web.archive.org/web/20140708094419/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/ammind.pdf
www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/chess/amateurs-mind-the-2nd-edition/
“... [First Steps: 1 e4 e5] is a fun and informative book. ...” (2018)
chesscafe.com/book-reviews/first-steps-1-e4-e5-by-john-emms/
www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/7790.pdf

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.